Search This Blog

Monday, April 26, 2010

The Basketmakers Arms

It had been almost 20 years since I set foot in Brighton, and aside from the beaten old pier sitting out in the water like an island, I did not remember much. I was pleasantly surprised to find something of a hippie town; a lively community of artists and musicians set in contrast with the students and vacationers from London.

The first night there we were pointed towards a pub called Basketmakers Arms by my friend Sayeeda. It's a small pub that stops serving food at 9pm, decorated with antique tins on the wall in which patrons leave little notes. I was happy to find Peroni on tap, and cold at that! (Sometimes in Britain finding cold beer is a bit of a challenge.)

Kilian and Art both ordered fish and chips, haddock I believe, served with a side of mushy peas. I had a bite of the fish... crispy and fresh, not soggy as the breading can sometimes be.

Sayeeda and I split two things: the seafood platter (steamed prawns and mussels, fried shrimp and a piece of fried haddock) and the ploughmans lunch (stilton, brie and white cheddar with ham, branston pickle and a nice side salad.) It was a great pub meal and the perfect introduction to Brighton.

No comments:

Post a Comment