Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Restauracja U Barssa



From the outside, U Barska is no different from any of the other restaurants on the Old Town square. There is a man dressed in posh medieval robes beckoning you inside, competing with the myriad other men in similar garb. There are couples with fanny packs, cameras and travel clothes wandering around, deciding. And the menu is expensive (not something you usually see in Warsaw.) I was elated by the meal though; the carpaccio was the finest I've ever had, garnished with arugula, yellow cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, olives, shaved parmasean and lemon, then drizzled with a dijon mustard sauce. The meat sliced so thin it was nearly impossible to get it off the plate. Truthfully, I could've eaten another portion. I am glad I ordered a main course though, pork knuckle with king's old formula, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and an awesome young cabbage/horseradish puree.

The meat on the pork knuckle was scarce, encased in a layer of fat probably half an inch thick, but my was it good. Sweet and smokey, akin to the roasted loin I had in Copenhagen. My father and I both agreed that the escargot was horrible, so chewy (and cheese? really?) but then again we are spoiled...

No comments:

Post a Comment